- MetaSUB is an international endeavor to build on the work of PathoMap and expand it globally to 20 cities, notably the top ten cities ranked by ridership. This will be the first study of its kind comparing the microbiome and metagenomic dynamics of the built environment of mass transit.
- The Extreme Microbiome Project (XMP) is a scientific effort to characterize, discover, and develop new pipelines and protocols for extremophiles and novel organisms.
Other Microbiome Studies
- The Human Microbiome Project (HMP) seeks to study complex microbial communities derived from various areas of the human body using modern DNA sequencing technologies.
- microBEnet is a project which organizes and fosters study of the microbiology of the built environment. Their consortium, MoBeDAC, aims to study and compare indoor microbial communities.
- The Earth Microbiome Project (EMP) is a systematic attempt to characterize the global microbial taxonomic and functional diversity for the benefit of the planet and mankind. To explore their datasets click here.
- The Home Microbiome Study integrates the data from projects in microBE and the EMP to understand how microbial community structure is shaped by environmental factors.
- The Hospital Microbiome Project aims to collect samples from the surfaces, air, staff, and patients from the University of Chicago’s new hospital pavilion in order to better understand the factors that influence the bacterial population development in healthcare environments.
Other Notable Projects
- The Twins Study is an unprecedented study being launched by NASA and 10 labs across the nation in March 2015 to study the impact of space travel on the human body.
- BioWatch is a program enacted by the United States Federal Goverment designed to detect pathogenic bacteria threats through air sampling procedures.